Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Good While It Lasted

Due to some pretty severe budget cuts, we’ve received word that Peace Corps will no longer be active in Morocco as of next month. In lieu of a plane ticket home, those of us currently in service have been given the option to transfer to new locations where our skills and experience may be of use. Having opted to stay, I recently received word via anonymous phone call that I will be headed to Gytchi Smlaria, a small riverside village in central Africa accessible only by water ski. Peace Corps has generously provided me with documentation regarding small mammal-trapping methods, common deadly parasites, a comprehensive list of motivational phrases, and a can of DeepWoods OFF!®. I’m unclear as to what specifics my work at this future site will involve, but the mystery is what drives me. I'm sure that despite whatever challenges I may face in my community, the people will be welcoming, warm, and grateful for my vague intentions toward empowerment and sustainable development in their already quiet, peaceful lives. Here I come guys!!

5 comments:

N said...

april fools :D

BG said...

You are SUCH a douche-pickle!

SusanG said...

"douche-pickle"????

Unknown said...

OH, SUCH A FUNNY!--TOO BAD YOU WON'T BE AVAILABLE TO RECEIVE THE BOX OF GOODIES WE SENT!

Jim said...

You've always wanted to be a better water skier; this is your chance. Beware of the local smiglets, though. African ones are much more aggressive than the European ones.