Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Operating Your Butane Gas Tank by Candlelight


Following a month of searching, bargaining, frenzied phone calls, late night drop-ins on my landlord-to-be, and a lot of help from my friends, I have a place to live. Whew.

As the place is either brand new or recently renovated, I spent yesterday armed with a broom, dust pan and squeegee cleaning up the plaster dust and mud left by the workers.


A description: Second story, two bedrooms, living room, big main room (aka place that will remain empty), bathroom with shower (no hot water), Turkish toilet (no seat), windows in every room, kitchen, black and white checkered tile floors, and a roof so big I could ride my bike around on it with ease. And the view is not too shabby:

Here's a link to a a few pages of pics.

We moved everything in yesterday, this time using a more modern version of the horse cart-- a truck. Now that the place is clean I can finally get around to spending the money Peace Corps gave me to buy stuff with, and just what is more American than that?

Despite having spent only two nights here and my things strewn around at random, I feel more at home here already than I ever did at the previous place. That’s probably because I know I won’t be kicked out in a week and let me tell you, that’s a nice feeling.

The landlord is in the process of fixing some problem with the electricity; only two lights and one outlet are working at the moment. I’ve been cooking and reading by candlelight in the evenings-- something I’m not at all opposed to, though a brighter source would allow me to more easily not see the food I don’t have. Looks like it’s time to head down to the market and hey, it’s s-suq day! I’d better go peruse the jacuzzi and billiard table selection before the good bargains are gone…

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, that looks really neat--need curtains?

BG said...

Sweet dude!

About time. I just got done reading that book "The Caliph's House", and was pretty pessimistic about you getting a house after THAT! Glad you got a crib goin' on! Time for the kegger and chicks, chicks, CHICKS!
Or, maybe just enjoy a place of your own. That roof looks sweet, I could dig that a LOT!

Oddly enough, Rick has the exact same floor tiles (checkerboard) in HIS basement. Maybe you guys could trade decorating tips. 'Steak & Shake' might have a few ideas, also.

Good for you, my brutha. Glad you enjoyed the 'goodies' box. The vids worked?

Take care bro,

B.

K said...

It's beautiful...

Jon said...

While relocating your belongings, you weren't, by chance, riding in the back of the truck, now...where you? They've gotta keep us on our toes, don't they...

The house looks awesome. Doesn't it feel awesome to not have to wait for meals?

Hope all is well. Hit me back with your phone number, because I'm not sure If I have it...

Karim

N said...

Karim,

It is indeed awesome to be able to cook and do well, everything without the *ahem* loving assistance of a host family.

And I actually did NOT ride in the back of the truck (are you reading this, Peace Corps?), opting to walk behind it like a moron. Oh well.

Hope life is good with you and the Mrs....my number is 058160374. Keep in touch, yo

Anonymous said...

Great looking place. I wonder what those rods sticking out of the roof are for. Maybe the foundation of another floor?

Still, great view. I see from the pictures you have your own little tagine, and was that a little electric tagine (Moroccan equivalent of a Crock Pot?) That'll be a conversation piece when you get home.

As for the toilet, that's there to remind you that this is, in fact, a foreign land.

Looks like you're doing well, and I'd imagine you can't wait to start doing what you went there to do. I'm sure you'll do it well.

Take care.

Unknown said...

Wow, your new place looks great! Clean of course, and huge (which might not be such a good thing without decent heating). It's a world of difference from the one my other PCV contact has. Don't know if you'd know her, but Linley in Midelt has been answering tons of questions for me. The view from your roof is pretty nice--can you see the stars well out there? Or are there bright streetlights around?