Wednesday, February 18, 2009


Under the orange glow of the streetlamp, watching the kids walk by in the road-- the river of dust they’ve known all their lives, I feel a hint of what it’s like to call this place home-- that these streets have been mine as long as I can remember, that I've walked them a hundred thousand times and know each step. I feel this for one fleeting moment and think of the places I have called home.

I watch the kids walk by on the street in the night-- a hand in the pocket, a push on the shoulder-- I think of summer nights and the ensuing nostalgia for the perfect summer night-- pieces of memory mixed with things that never happened. I remember the things I used to remember. I think of country roads and of driving in cars. Faces and voices I used to know stir up and swirl around like the sediment in a creek bed behind an old house. I think of hunting sand crabs as a boy on a gulf beach with a dollar-store flashlight, a net and Orion’s arc overhead.

I think of strolling by the door to this very house years from now, pointing it out to you, rust peeking out beneath the chipped olive paint that once smelled new; I think of all the places I've called home and how I’ve never returned.

I watch them walking by in the street with the same friends they’ve walked with since always.

I think of America, of the Midwest, of the sweet smell of the fields in the air; I think of idly strumming a guitar on the edge of my bed by the open window, imagining a shoreline in the night and the many places I’ve never seen.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Is "home" only memories, or is "home" where we are in this moment of time?

cortney linn said...

you are a beautiful person

Ruth said...

Keep writing - you give a magnificent sense of where you are.

Ruth (who was invited to be a PCV Morocco next September)

Emily and Jon said...

Hey! Just wondering when we're going to have a CBT group get-together? By the way, I didn't realize you were so close to Touqbal! I don't think we have your #, if you could send it to us, that would be sweet!

Anonymous said...

This one brought a tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

This has to be your most poetic and emotional of your posts so far. Here's to making good use of your new in-home internet connection!

jen721 said...

Simply beautiful.

Rachel Weiner said...

Well said - I often waver between that and "where-am-I-again?"