Friday, November 20, 2009

The Good With the Bad

It's been a whirlwind of a week.

Ami, my sitemate extraordinaire and partner in crime here in the High Atlas foothills, screeched off into the sunrise via grand taxi and dust cloud this past Tuesday, having completed her service. Woo hoo!

She's really been a big sister to me,-- helping me out, keeping me involved, and checking in on me, especially during those first few painful months of homestay. I am forever indebted to her for letting me use her hot shower. Oh, and for introducing me to a young lady I've grown pretty fond of in the last year... A true friend, I'm lucky to have shared this experience with her. I really couldn't have asked for anyone better. She did an admirable job here, and it's been great to watch her flourish as a Volunteer, and to see her influence among the community. I've really looked up to her. Now she's off to go to grad school and get married; I'll be seein' her in May when I fly out to San Francisco for the wedding.

I'm thrilled to announce the arrival of my new sitemate, Donniell, who showed up one week ago today! I won't write too much so as not to embarrass her, but I will say that I'm really glad she's here and I'm looking forward to our coming year together. She's got a great attitude and sense of humor about it all, and I think she'll do really well here. She'll be working at the local dar chebab, (basically the Moroccan equivalent of a YMCA) doing Youth Development.

Hard to believe I'm a second year Volunteer now. One year to go. Everyone says this one flies by before you can blink, and I believe it. In one sense I feel like there's so much to figure out, like I'm always a beginner. Though I can say that I have a foundation now and with that, the confidence that follows familiarity and a learned ability to approach the unknown with enthusiasm rather than a bristle. There's a feeling of momentum-- of finding a stride, and that's invigorating. I think these 2nd year pants will fit just fine.

____________________________

It's with a heavy heart that I write to you of the passing of SoYoun Kim, a Youth Development volunteer from my stage. She died this past Monday in a Marrakech hospital from an unexpected illness.

I recently spent some time with SoYoun, as she was one of the volunteers who hosted the pottery workshop discussed in my previous posting. She was ill when I saw her, though no one at the time imagined it would lead to such an end.

She was such a spirited, bright, creative and giving person. One of those rare individuals that seemed to be truly in love with her experiences-- someone who paid attention and took great joy in the simple moments and interactions that make up our everydays. We'll miss her greatly.

1 comment:

SusanG said...

"2nd year pants" - what a great line!