Friday, September 5, 2008

Gloomy Chicago





Ugh, what a day to leave. It was an early start this morning, waking to a 5:30 AM alarm and dreary skies, finally having to face the day I thought I'd always just talk about. It was really tough to say goodbye. I sat silently panicking in my train seat as the midwestern towns flashed by, having suddenly realized the reality of my situation. Two years seems like such an eternity right now. I found myself thinking things such as, "I'm really tired right now; it'll be nice when this is over and I can go home and lie down."

*twinge of panic*

The queasiness has subsided for the moment, however, as I sit typing this in my hotel room at O'Hare International. There's a giant flatscreen TV in here. I haven't tried it out yet but man, it looks impressive. A lot of feelings turned on full blast and sort of stirred up today-- one minute it's exhilarating, the next is a wave of almost unbearable homesickness. I've only been gone eight and a half hours!

So this afternoon/evening I'm going to walk my route to the terminal (don't want to get lost tomorrow), look for some food, maybe explore around the hotel a bit, go over the agenda for tomorrow, relax, and hopefully get to sleep early tonight. It's another 5 AM wakeup call tomorrow as I head to the magic land they call............PHILADELPHIA!!

5 comments:

BG said...

Hang in there man....I'm sure it is normal to have these "mini-freakouts". Just remember: you're not going to prison or anything...just a great adventure. Probably this week will be the hardest. Like I said: normal. Just remember that you're OK! Maybe try some meditation, or just "quiet time".

B.

jen721 said...

Once you get with your group in Philly, I am sure all will be better. Like B said, hang in there. You have a great support system out there who care and wish you well. Know that though you are absent from our sight, you will never be absent from our thoughts or hearts. Take care, sleep well tonight and look forward to the fantastic adventure you are about to embark on.

Jen

Unknown said...

I was with you from early morning on trying to imagine how you must feel--all perfectly normal--and it will pass into your exciting days.

N said...

thanks so much guys...very thoughtful of you and certainly helpful. i am lucky to have such a family. don't worry, i'm not losing it!

K said...

Ahhhh,
And the adventure begins. So happy to see a post from you. You must have your computer? Thinking of you yesterday, thinking of you today.

Enjoy!
Evan and Kelly