Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rabat


So much to write about. Let's see if I can fit it all in during this lunch break. I apologize for the lack of specifics, but there is very little free time. I'm sure once I'm out at my final sight months from now, I'll have more time than I know what to do with and I can write more.

The plane ride over was surreal. Flying in a metal tube across the Atlantic to Africa. You step in from New York and step out in Morocco. The time changes, meal schedules and lighting completely screw with your mind. They feed everyone dinner, turn out the lights, and three hours later turn them back on and give you breakfast before the sun comes up and you land. We arrived at eight something in the morning and had a full day of traveling, meetings and lectures, all with almost no sleep.

Well, we are here in Rabat, the capital of Morocco, meeting for 3 days of pre-pre-service training before heading to Azrou where we will stay in yet another hotel before eventually being assigned to host families.

It's Ramadan now, meaning most Moroccans don't eat or drink during daylight hours. This is a little weird for us, because while they fast, those belonging to the hotel kitchen staff are busy presenting us with sprawling, delicious meals three times a day, plus snack times in between. I take every opportunity to have some of the famed hot sweet mint tea; it is quite tasty. I'd tell you more about the food, but I don't know what any of it is aside from the basic ingredient-- things like fish, lamb, potatoes, beans, curry, rice. I've got two years to learn about the food. I'll be sure to pass along some tasty recipes.

This morning they gave us the extra vaccinations; I needed one for rabies. The staff members take turns giving presentations on health and safety with some basic language lessons thrown in. Lots of paperwork and handouts. Those in charge are approachable, lighthearted and knowledgable, and I'm confident that they will prepare us well. Yesterday we were restricted to the hotel; today we are allowed to venture out. We have some Dirhams (the currency) and can go wandering after the day's presentations are over. The American Ambassador to Morocco came by and spoke this morning. It was a big deal-- bodyguards in the corners of the room, entourage of shiny black vehicles speeding up and then away, disappearing down the mazes of streets. It was nice of him to stop by. I'm looking forward to hitting the streets later, us trying our hardest to be inconspicuous and failing miserably, mangling the little language we "know", and possibly offending many.

The hotel is pretty swanky. It's interesting trying to figure out little things such as light "switches" which are more like buttons, the locations of which aren't necessarily indicative of what room or fixture they might seemingly control. My favorite part is the balcony off of the top floor that runs the length of the building, overlooking the Palais du Royale. There is a mosque at the palace where a muezzin calls prayers from a minnaret five times a day. This morning I woke up sometime before sunrise and listened in the dark as his voice echoed spookily off of the buildings and into the still room. Gave me the chills and prompted the reminder, "Hey, I'm in Morocco."

3 comments:

K said...

Your pre-dawn chills are contagious, and you're dropping some Moroccan/Muslim vocab words like a pro. Can't wait to hear about the "inconspicuous" wanderings.

"Inconspicuous" - how cute.

Unknown said...

So exciting--wish I was there!

SusanG said...

What a handsome guy in the picture! Is he one of your fellow PCTs?